Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Photoshop of horrors: long beautiful legs!

If you're short like me, you probably always dreamed of long, beautiful legs. Well, you can with photoshop, but it's good to be mindful of a few things...skeletal proportions, for one thing. This photo came up on my tumblr feed. The photographer had an editorial vision and photoshopped accordingly, which is cool and all, but the bizarre proportions make this completely surreal and confusing. 


As you'll notice, class, the femur (thigh bone) is the longest bone in your entire body:
but through the magic of photoshop....



...You can have freakishly long leg bones (tibia/fibula).  If you're wondering why I included the black box around the skeleton image, it's so you can see the warping that happens when you do this photoshopping trick. And there's no way NOT to have warping. If you look at the above photo (I love her hair+makeup by the way...) you can see in the lines of the wall corner exactly what was "tucked in" and "spread out." 
My guess is that this model, who's beautiful by the way, looks more like this IRL. I went ahead and made her femurs proportional to her body and fixed the warping in the walls somewhat. old buildings tend to have warped walls anyway, so this kind of thing isn't always a dead giveaway. I don't know, I think this looks better. It's just as sexy, industrial, post-apocalyptic, grungy, etc as the original, but without the totally gratuitous surreal legs.  

probable real life proportions

Comparing against the original: 

Now I'm NOT against using photoshop for editorial vision...after all this is an art like everything else. I'm not going to pretend that fashion photography is photojournalism. Unless you're selling stuff online, you're basically selling an image--an idea. It's ok to take artistic liberties.

2 comments:

  1. In her case, it's especially interesting, because a lot of her fans think that she actually looks like that in real life; you know, tall and skinnier, than a skeleton...

    I have to add, that - no offense, but I absolutely dislike her work, but I stumble upon her photos everywhere and I do take a look at them sometimes because of the above mentioned points; crazy, unrealistic editing. It's an interesting matter whether they - or, if I'm not mistaken, mostly her - do it for artistic reasons, idealization or out of pure vaniy...I think, the original photo looks more surreal and visually exciting, but your version is sexier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the model is Razor Candy, and I had no idea they photoshop her pics, at least some, because honestly what's there to photoshop? XD
    Cool thing you did with the biology thing there, I almost thought I understood the field...

    ReplyDelete