Friday, March 21, 2014

Gothing Up the Pantone Spring 2014 Colors

Happy Spring, everyone in the northern hemisphere! It's that time of year. Pantone color time. My personal seasonal challenge: gothing up the season's Pantone colors. I'm not sure why I do this. (Those of you in the southern hemisphere, you can see fall's colors here)


What's Pantone? Well, it's basically the, um... only color company? Everything that uses colors uses Pantone colors. You need something printed at a commercial printer? they're going to ask you for a Pantone color number. Ordering fabric from a textile manufacturer... going to need a pantone color for that too. I don't understand how they make their money.

Spring/summer colors are always a challenge for those of us with darker wardrobes. The above colors are especially a challenge. When I did this for fall 2013 there were actually a few colors I loved: the deep violet-purple Beaujolais, which looks awesome as lipstick; the washed-out, grungy deep lichen green. I thought I was going to hate these spring colors, but I actually like them. This is a great time for rockabilly looks, vintage/antique looks, steampunk, pastel goth, and postapocalyptic fashion. 



pantone spring 2014

pantone spring 2014 by ahp259 featuring an essie nail polish



Radiant Orchid: I actually love the pantone color of the year: Radiant Orchid. I did an entire post on this already and how it works well with dark fashion. Goes great with red and black and gray

Paloma: This gray is the most versatile color in the palette, I'd say. A perfect color for spring boots that would go with any goth style you have. Works especially well with industrial and pastel goth looks if roughed up, works great for work and more sophisticated styles when solid. Also, I only buy denim in this color. It is the greatest denim color ever. 

Sand: This is the other most versatile color. I think this goes great with vintage/historic styles, though you'll see I couldn't resist styling it with a postapocalptic rivethead look above. Also a great color for vests and springtime leathers--makes me think of adventure!

Placid Blue: a nice color for hair, I'd say. like a gray pastel blue. 

Hemlock: Another great one for vintage and lace. It, no surprise, reminds me of gardens and springtime. 


Freesia: Clearly an accent. Most acceptable on a Hawaiian shirt. Then hair accessories and makeup. 


Celosia Orange: Isn't this just "orange"? Another accent. See above. Though I think this goes nice as a nail polish and goes really nice with the sand color. 


Dazzling Blue: Another accent. Really, if you get a Hawaiian shirt, you've covered your bases with half of these colors. If you don't want to look like springtime, you can match this with black most easily. 


Cayenne: Like the dazzling blue, the most easiest to incorporate into your all-black wardrobe.


Violet Tulip: basically the same as radiant orchid, but for people who want to match with cooler colors/cooler skin tones.


And a polyvore set that's more goth with a "pop" of spring color. 

pantone spring 2014 22

pantone spring 2014 22 by ahp259 featuring a green pencil skirt

What do you guys think of these colors? Least goth colors ever, amiright? But then again, spring is the least goth time of the year. 

14 comments:

  1. As much as I loved the fall colors, I'm not up for pastels...or spring in general. Not just yet. :)
    On the contrary, I must say I'm happy for sand and radiant orchid - well, perhaps, a more toned down, somewhat mauve - ish shade would be better, but as you said, it's gonna look great with black and grey. ^^
    Cayen is kinda nice, but I have to see it IRL...and finally, I'll be able to experiment with blue as well..ehm, hoping, that some other shades pop up too though...:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a mauve in the fall 2014 colors! That's one of my fave colors too

      Delete
  2. I love spring and I love your collections. I am actually a pastel fan- especially the feminine pieces paired with tougher boots and jewelry, as you've done. If I become famous or wealthy, you'll become my dresser, won't you? I'll let you stick me with a pin and say "Do me a favor and lose five pounds immediately!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expect they probably earn their money through intellectual property rights.. they must be raking it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...they've pretty much got that market covered

      Delete
  4. Oh I actually a lot of these colors too. Not sure about Freesia and Celosia Orange though. Then again I just look terrible in yellows and oranges. I do generally love pastels though. Definitely going to see how to include these colors in future outfits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bright yellow or orange?! I don't believe it!! Just kidding. I don't even think I've seen things in these colors at the stores

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you could find it at Nordstroms or Bloomingdales though. Target and what not seems to know better.

      Delete
  5. I love blue grey and purple! I recently found some black and purple floral dresses! I also love grey and some browns. I can't stand orange or yellow though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah orange and yellow are impossibly Difficult to work with. Unless it's eyeshadow

      Delete
  6. I love Spring, I am so happy to enjoy it in Europe, because there is no seasonal change in israel and that always sucked. I didn't know about the Pantone colores, pretty interesting. I think that the pastels go great with vintage and even gothic lolita outfits. They are so calming, but I can't imagine myself wearing any of them lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is a pretty new season for me too. Chicago went from winter to summer overnight. Pantone is strange but useful. I had i pantone book at my desk at my last job...you need it to communicate color with manufacturers.

      Delete
  7. You can't go wrong when you add a bit of colour to an all black outfit, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete